Services for International Students
Beginning studies as an international student in Canada can be very daunting, especially when dealing with multiple priorities while focussing on one’s education. Our settlement program helps make the transition smoother with:
- Settlement counselling and orientation to Canada
- Information about employment opportunities and ESA regulations
- Assistance with various documentation and form filling
- Guidance on accessing healthcare, housing, and financial supports for students
- Referrals to appropriate community resources
Our focus is to provide information and orientation to newcomers to navigate the various government and social services available to them. International students receive assistance to develop social connections and participate in the community.
Additional support includes opportunities to participate in job fairs, networking meetings and basic employment counselling.
Guidance is provided to clients about Employment Insurance, Child Tax Benefit, CPP, Old Age Pension, Children’s Activity Tax Credits, OSAP, Ontario Drug Benefit program, scholarships, work permits, ODSP, Ontario Works etc. Many vulnerable newcomer women and students face sexual violence; we can offer settlement support to these clients with safety planning, immediate crisis counseling, and appropriate, confidential referrals.